[R-pkg-devel] Using function with same name as argument as default argument

Jan van der Laan rhe|p @end|ng |rom eoo@@dd@@n|
Mon Aug 8 15:10:37 CEST 2022

Not sure if this belongs on r-help or r-package-devel; decided for the
latter as the question is mainly relevant when writing code to be used
by others.

The issue I run into is that I want to write a function similar to:

foo <- function(x, schema = schema(x)) {
   if (is.null(schema)) stop("schema missing")
   # ...
}

with 'schema()' something like (strongly simplified):

schema <- function(x) attr(x, "schema")

However using both the argument schema and calling the schema() function
in one of the default arguments is not allowed ans results in the
following somewhat cryptic error message:

Error in foo(1:3) :
   promise already under evaluation: recursive default argument
reference or earlier problems?

I am looking for a clean solution to this. I can rename the argument or
function, but calling it something other than schema feels impractical
as both refer to the same thing (the schema of x). The best solution I
have come up with until now is to define a second function to be used in
default function arguments:

schema_ <- schema

foo <- function(x, schema = schema_(x)) {
   if (is.null(schema)) stop("schema missing")
   # ...
}

I guess another solution would be:

foo <- function(x, schema) {
   if (missing(schema)) schema <- schema(x)
}

But then it is not clear for the user from the interface that the
'schema' argument can be omitted.

I am hoping some of you have other suggestions.

And, is this something that could be 'fixed' in the R-parser?

Thanks,
Jan