[R-pkg-devel] problem with regdmp finding v4.2.x under Windows

Jonathan Godfrey A@J@God|rey @end|ng |rom m@@@ey@@c@nz
Tue Jul 5 03:59:43 CEST 2022

Hi all,

In order to support my local students and other blind users, I install every version of R and re-build every document used, almost all of which are R markdown documents.

That means re-installing or updating packages as if I was a novice user following instructions. I try to give my students a clean start experience at the beginning of semester so that we're all using the same versions, and gives me time to sort out the messes before semester begins.

To do all of that efficiently, I make extensive use of batch files (Windows user alert) and a key ingredient of those batch files is that I avoid having to edit the R version number with each installation.

I've been using a Windows utility called regdmp to look in the registry for the highest version number. Up to v4.1.3, that was working extremely well for me.

In addition, I've been investigating quarto, and have struck the same problem because quarto looks for the path to Rscript.exe using the regdmp utility. I've had help from the quarto team, and we've established that the regdmp utility should be finding a version of R if one exists. On my newish laptop where there is just one R installation (4.2.0) regdmp fails to find any installation because it has an "Access denied" error message.

On my older desktop which has multiple R installations, I do not get an "Access denied" error, quarto finds the path to the 4.2.0 installation via brute force, but regdmp via my batch files gives me 4.1.x instead.

I'm currently able to provide the service to my students I want, but only by doing all R work by explicitly naming the version of R I want used. I really do want to get back to my previous workflow so that I just install new versions of R and carry on.

I'm now seeking your advice on the differences in installation of versions 4.2.x and 4.1.x that could have an impact on the Windows registry and therefore regdmp's ability to find the relevant entries there.

Many thanks,
Jonathan