[R-pkg-devel] URL checks

Greg Hunt greg @end|ng |rom ||rm@n@y@h@com
Thu Jun 30 09:49:49 CEST 2022

Ivan,
The question is whether the problem is that Cloudflare or other CDN vendors
are blocking the CRAN checks out or whether the problem is the use of
HEAD.  Clearly the use of HEAD causes failures when the requests do not
come from CRAN.  My comment below was just that at least in that case you
can see whether the request is being failed by CloudFlare and potentially
decide to disregard the failure.  Do you have evidence that even without
the use of HEAD that CloudFlare is rejecting the CRAN checks?

The CDN rejecting requests or flagging the service as temporarily
unavailable when there is a communication failure with its upstream server
is much the same behaviour that you would expect to see from the usual
kinds of protection that you'd apply to a web server (some kind of
filter/proxy/firewall) even without a CDN in place.

Greg