[R-pkg-devel] Searching examples in source code

Ben Engbers ben@engber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun May 8 21:02:18 CEST 2022

Op 08-05-2022 om 17:55 schreef Iñaki Ucar:
> On Sat, 7 May 2022 at 23:25, Ben Engbers <Ben.Engbers using be-logical.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

>> My first question is if there is a useful linux command to search all
>> the source code of installed packages on my system.
>
> Not sure what you mean here. The source code is not copied along with
> your installed packages.

Uh? I didn't know that. How does the compile process work? Does this
mean that the (C or C++) sources only live in the repository and that
the compile command accesses those files?

>> The second question is if there is a command to search all packages at
>> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/available_packages_by_name.html?
>>
>> This question is not only relevant to C++ examples. It would also be
>> nice if you could search for occurrences of commands in R code.
>
> There's a read-only mirror of CRAN on GitHub
> (https://github.com/cran). Going there and using the search form
> (i.e., specifying "org:cran <your_search_here>") is probably the best
> bet to find what you're looking for.

If I go to that site and enter "org:cran asio" in  the search field, I
am directed to https://github.com/cran/AsioHeaders. That's not what I am
looking for; I am looking for C sources which make use of org:cran asio.

A R-example would be that I was looking for packages which make use of
the "socketConnection" function. Entering socketConnection in the search
form results in "We couldn’t find any repositories matching 'org:cran
socketConnection'". This doesn't help me...

Ben