[R-pkg-devel] How to fix Tcl/Tk Error on Mac OS build

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Wed Apr 27 00:31:52 CEST 2022

Thanks, indeed, as part of full re-install for R 4.2.0 package builds the Tcl/Tk libraries were missing. Now fixed and summarytools check with

* checking data for non-ASCII characters ... NOTE
  Note: found 78 marked UTF-8 strings

I'll just repeat the important link that Tomas posted: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/external_libs.html

On a slightly orthogonal note (not related to the question other than it involves tcltk): I'd like to point out that Tcl/Tk is often not available on computing servers, so I would recommend packages that do not provide GUI tools to avoid dependence on tcltk if not strictly necessary as it prevents the use in headless HPC environments.

Cheers,
Simon