[R-pkg-devel] Single page reference manual in html format

Fri Apr 15 20:18:05 CEST 2022

On 15/04/2022 1:16 p.m., Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2022 at 8:35 PM Jeroen Ooms <jeroen using berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to generate the package reference manual in a (one
>> page) html format? It would be nice to access reference manuals from
>> devices without a pdf reader.
>
> I don't think so, but it would certainly be a nice feature to have.
>
> Most of the necessary code is already there, so it shouldn't be too
> difficult. We'll work on it.

I think this would be better done in a contributed package rather than
in core R, because there are lots of customizations that people would want:

- Some people would want to execute the example code, like pkgdown does.
- Some people would want each help page in a separate HTML page (like
pkgdown), but with links to step through all the pages (I don't think
pkgdown does this).
- People would want to customize the look of the page, possibly with
syntax highlighting, or just different fonts and layouts.

Adding an "all in one page" option to pkgdown might be the easiest way
to do this, because they already have a lot of customization
possibilities.  But there are probably other "make a web page for this
package" packages out there.

If you do include it in base R, please at least allow the CSS to be
customized.