[R-pkg-devel] Build Environment for Mac OS Catalina

Russell Almond ru@@e||@g@@|mond @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Apr 12 01:30:53 CEST 2022

I'm doing my development on an older version of Mac OS, running
Catalina.  I'm a bit confused as to what the proper development
environment is because the stuff on https://mac.r-project.org/tools
seems to be for either more recent or older versions of MacOS.  I also
seem to have screwed up something in my toolchain (the curious can see
my question at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/71790401/otool-is-referencing-an-old-version-of-libffi
).

I have a couple of related questions:

1) What is the right set of instructions for setting up the tool chain
for Mac OS Catalina?

2) I'm currently using the R install from homebrew, but I thought I saw
something about a different version of R that I should be using.  Is
that still current advise?

Thanks, Googling the answers to these questions points me at some pages
that are clearly out of date.