[R-pkg-devel] "Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8" failed and "qpdf28.dll was not found" on Win 10

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 31 08:52:31 CEST 2022

On 3/31/22 08:39, Ivan Krylov wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 16:46:52 -0500
> Spencer Graves <spencer.graves using effectivedefense.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm getting different errors with MINGW64 and "Git CMD" under Windows
>> 10
> All these shortcuts do is launch cmd.exe or bash, optionally after
> setting %PATH%, optionally in a non-standard terminal application.
> Evidently, something in the %PATH% set by the shortcuts conflicts with
> the R CMD check process.
>
> For a package that doesn't have any compiled code, there should be no
> need for these tricks. Just start cmd.exe (for example, using Win+R,
> "cmd", Enter), navigate to your package and run something like
> "C:\Program Files\R-version\bin\R.exe" CMD check sos_2.1-4.tar.gz.
>
> If you're still having problems, try editing your %PATH% and trimming
> anything you don't need from there.
>
> If you're sure you need a special shortcut to launch a command line to
> check your package in, try installing Rtools and performing checks from
> "Rtools bash".

With Rtools42, you don't need to run the Rtools bash, either, to check
packages. You can use cmd.exe (or any other console/shell) or you can
run the checks from R  (e.g. via tools::Rcmd). This has more details for
R 4.2 with Rtools42 (but the same applies to R-devel):

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/howto-R-4.2.html

With Rtools40 and R 4.0-4.1, this is almost the same but you need to
adjust PATH in the running session of R (see 6.3.1 in R admin manual for
the respective R release).

Best
Tomas