[R-pkg-devel] What is best practice for handling false negatives on CRAN submission tests?

Daniel Kelley D@n@Ke||ey @end|ng |rom D@|@C@
Sat Mar 19 13:14:30 CET 2022

I submitted oce-1.7.2 to CRAN two days ago, in order to address problems that were uncovered in R-devel/linux CRAN tests. (The new gcc-12 that is on some CRAN machines is handy at uncovering potential problems.)

This version followed two prior submissions I had made on that day, 1.7.0 and 1.7.1, in which I progressively removed more and more URLs in docs that were failing.  As you can see, I was following what I think is the rule, in bumping the version number with each submission.

Anyway, the email I got back from CRAN told me that oce-1.7.2 had failed initial tests.  However, the email makes it seem that those tests had actually been passed.  Therefore, I wrote back to suggest that this might be a false negative (see Appendix below for the CRAN email, and my response).

My question for this list relates to time.  Would I be sensible to wait a couple of weeks for a reply? I ask because the schedule would have oce being auto-removed from CRAN early next month, and I worry a bit about that happening because of an email that went missing, or because I was unclear on how to communicate with CRAN.

# Appendix

I emailed the following at 3:53PM (Halifax time, i.e. UTC-3) on Mar 17, 2022.

```

My submission of 'oce' version 1.7-2 was rejected, although I see that the two tests both give Status as OK. Therefore, I'm wondering whether this is a false positive, and am writing this email as instructed. (This is the third trial of a submission, which initially aimed to solve a problem that was discovered by gcc-12 on a debian test machine. The system caught two other problems during submission, which had not been flagged in local tests, on winbulder, or on rhub tests.)

Please accept my apologies if there is something that I am missing.

Many thanks, both in advance for this and more generally, for the CRAN system.

Dan Kelley / Department of Oceanography / Dalhousie University / Canada