[R-pkg-devel] Setting OpenMP threads (globally) for an R package

Evan Biederstedt ev@n@b|eder@tedt @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 18 06:10:35 CET 2022

Hi Simon

Thank you for the detailed explanations; they're very clear and helpful
thinking through how to debug this.

I think I am still fundamentally confused why `export OMP_NUM_THREADS=1`
would result in the (desirable) behavior of moderate memory usage.

*> > Moreover, could you explain how setting the OpenMP global variables
e.g. `OMP_NUM_THREADS=1` would stop forking? I don't quite follow this.>
OpenMP has absolutely nothing to do with this as far as I can tell - that's
why I was saying that OpenMP is the red herring here.*
There is some connection to setting  `export OMP_NUM_THREADS=1` before
starting R, and moderate memory usage; that's all I know.

I think Wolfgang might be onto something; the R package uses many Matrix
operations. I think BLAS/LAPACK libraries read these global variables, no?

https://rdrr.io/github/wrathematics/openblasctl/

But in terms of my question above, I was originally trying to ask if there
could be any relationship between setting `export OMP_NUM_THREADS=1` before
starting R and (possibly) unexpected forking causing a memory surge
(+100GB). Perhaps the R package dependencies hiding something?

This has been a helpful exchange, thank you everyone

Best, Evan