[R-pkg-devel] Ensuring permanence and SHA consistency of released CRAN packages for validated software

Borini, Stefano @te|@no@bor|n| @end|ng |rom @@tr@zenec@@com
Thu Mar 17 11:39:51 CET 2022

Then I argue that the model is wrong. Platforms change all the time, but package release and package testing are two separate operations. I also guess it hardly scales. If the number of packages were to increase, you can’t rebuild and retest them all every time a linux distribution changes something and you want to retest the whole lot against it.

--
Stefano Borini
Principal Analytical Tools Developer
AstraZeneca R&D BioPharmaceuticals | Data Science & AI | Early Biometrics & Statistical Innovation

From: Iñaki Ucar <iucar using fedoraproject.org>
Date: Thursday, 17 March 2022 at 10:16
To: "Borini, Stefano" <stefano.borini using astrazeneca.com>
Cc: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org>, Henrik Bengtsson <henrik.bengtsson using gmail.com>, "r-package-devel using r-project.org" <r-package-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] Ensuring permanence and SHA consistency of released CRAN packages for validated software

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 10:08, Borini, Stefano
<stefano.borini using astrazeneca.com> wrote:

> Sure, but why rebuild the package that has already been built?

Because the rest of the stack evolves and changes (compilers, shared
libraries, other packages), so you need to periodically (or, better
and more efficiently, each time a dependency changes) rebuild stuff to
check that it still works. Linux distributions have dedicated services
for this (see e.g. [1]).

[1] https://koschei.fedoraproject.org/<https://koschei.fedoraproject.org>

--
Iñaki Úcar

AstraZeneca UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with registered number:03674842 and its registered office at 1 Francis Crick Avenue, Cambridge Biomedical Campus, Cambridge, CB2 0AA.

This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information. If they have come to you in error, you must not copy or show them to anyone; instead, please reply to this e-mail, highlighting the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message. For information about how AstraZeneca UK Limited and its affiliates may process information, personal data and monitor communications, please see our privacy notice at www.astrazeneca.com<https://www.astrazeneca.com>