[R-pkg-devel] New 'extptr.as.ref' argument in identical() causing check failures

Andrew Plowright p|owr|ght@@ndrew @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 1 21:20:08 CET 2022

Hello, I have an 'identical()' method in my library

https://github.com/andrew-plowright/TileManager/blob/0f213a6bcce4bc4b6d0f5e6672660409e09c22c5/R/tileScheme-methods.R#L198

I recently started getting a warning message regarding a new
'extptr.as.ref' argument that was added to R-devel in December. When
running devtools::check_rhub() I get:

```
* checking for code/documentation mismatches ... WARNING
identical
                 TRUE, ignore.bytecode = TRUE, ignore.environment =
                 FALSE, ignore.srcref = TRUE, extptr.as.ref = FALSE)
  Code: function(x, y, num.eq = TRUE, single.NA = TRUE, attrib.as.set =
Codoc mismatches from documentation object 'identical':
  Docs: function(x, y, num.eq = TRUE, single.NA = TRUE, attrib.as.set =
                 TRUE, ignore.bytecode = TRUE, ignore.environment =
                 FALSE, ignore.srcref = TRUE)
  Argument names in code not in docs:
    extptr.as.ref
```

I tried adding the 'extptr.as.ref' argument to my documentation, but now I
get a new warning:

```
  Documented arguments not in \usage in documentation object 'identical':

    'extptr.as.ref'
  Functions with \usage entries need to have the appropriate \alias
  entries, and all their arguments documented.
  The \usage entries must correspond to syntactically valid R code.
  See chapter 'Writing R documentation files' in the 'Writing R
  Extensions' manual.
```

So it seems that a warning is being generated both with or without the
extptr.as.ref in my documentation. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Andrew