[R-pkg-devel] Question on best approach to develop R package that wraps old complex Python2 software

Alexandru Voda @|ex@ndru@vod@ @end|ng |rom @eh@ox@@c@uk
Tue Jan 25 01:02:38 CET 2022

Hi!

How would one best write an R wrapper package over a complex Python2 software (such as https://github.com/bulik/ldsc), that is still very widely used in statistical genetics?

I'm writting an R package (that currently passes all --as-cran checks) for multiple other C++ softwares on the same topic as the one above, but this Python2 one I've difficulties with - it just looks like a bunch of hackish system() calls... And while it works on Linux and Mac, I've no idea whether it'd work on Windows.

While it may seem easy to dismiss, actually LDSC is widely used in the statistical genetics field, and lots of people find it difficult to work with because of all the dependency files and weirdly documented commands, and because... well... Python2...

Any tips? Or do you know anyone that I should contact/ask?

Best wishes,
Alexandru