[R-pkg-devel] Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) unable to load shared object

Mon Dec 27 16:28:48 CET 2021

Ezra,

[ A gentle plea: Can you please turn the encryption signing off when you
  reply?  Thank you, it really confuses one of the email programs I use. ]

What you state in passing is somewhere between misleading and just wrong,
likely due to a misunderstanding. Quoting from your email:

  a stupid one. You mention the JAGS package-- I've been using xml2 as my
  kind-of template. Installing it on linux for example will fail unless
  you have the libxml2-dev package installed (at least for debian-based),

That is only true if you used one particular source of binary "packages" that
is not actually official for either the distribution or CRAN, and where I use
term package in quotes because these are known to be potentially incomplete
for dependencies.

But the package in question, xml2, has been packaged correctly by the
distributions proper, see for example for Debian [1] expanding to, say, [2]
or for Ubuntu [3] expanding to, say, [4] you see that proper packages (in the
distribution) of course have proper dependencies.

If you have more questions about how this works for Debian or Ubuntu, there
are numerous resources on the web, and thousands of packages in binary. We
also have 5000+ of in the 'CRAN for Ubuntu' Team repo at [5] and other
distributions have similar resources within or contributed.

The topic is a bit more complicated than a single email. If you care, Inaki
and I even wrote a paper on the state of affairs and possibly use of such
binaries directly from R, see [6]

If you have specific questions about R on Debian/Ubuntu, the list
r-sig-debian is good. You need to subscribe before you can post.

Cheers, Dirk

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/r-cran-xml2
[2] https://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/r-cran-xml2
[3] https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=r-cran-xml2