[R-pkg-devel] CRAN no longer checking for solaris?

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Mon Dec 6 12:07:28 CET 2021

On 06.12.2021 03:09, Avraham Adler wrote:
> Would this mean we could start using little endian bit strings, as I think
> only the Solaris platform was big endian (or was it the other way around)?

It depends on the hardware, not the OS.
CRAN checked on Intel CPUs, which are little endian while formerly
Solaris was typically used on Sparc which is big endian.

In any case, please try to write cross platform code further on. ARM and
x86-64 may agree, but we do not know what comes next. And old ideas may
be revived more quickly than expected:
Not too many people expected 20 years ago that the future of scientific
computing in 2021 would still/again happen on platforms without support
for long doubles / extended precision.

Best,
Uwe Ligges