[R-pkg-devel] socketConnection, delay when reading from

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Nov 28 21:10:18 CET 2021

On 11/28/21 5:10 PM, Ben Engbers wrote:
> Searching Google seems easy. But finding reaully usefull information
> is often very difficult.
> I alreay found hint #1. Thankfs for #2 and #3

Perhaps people who teach these things could give best recommendations
(and those may not be reading this list).

It would be useful to learn the basics of sockets. The wikipedia might
work if you wanted something short:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_sockets.

And then you could read the online R help for the R-level socket
functions used in the demo program. For the parallel package (e.g. PSOCK
clusters), you might also read the vignette of that package. And to look
for usage patterns of the R socket API, one could look into the sources
of the parallel package (the part implemented in R).

Tomas