[R-pkg-devel] socketConnection, delay when reading from

Ben Engbers Ben@Engber@ @end|ng |rom Be-Log|c@|@n|
Sat Nov 27 17:24:36 CET 2021

Op 27-11-2021 om 17:03 schreef Jeff Newmiller:
> This is a null-terminated message protocol [1]. It has to be processed one byte at a time.
>
> [1] https://docs.basex.org/wiki/Server_Protocol

The message may contain embedded 0x00's. To distinguish these embedded
0x00's (and 0xFF's) from a terminating 0x00, embedded 0x00's and 0xFFare
prefixed with a 0xFF byte. This means that when you process one byte at
a time you have to perform a check on every byte. This results in
totally unacceptable response times (My first version of this client was
based on this approach)

The only alternative solution I can think off is to use C++ to create a
socket and a function that reads from the socket. But since I have
hardly any experience with C++ programming nor using the rcpp package....

Ben