[R-pkg-devel] Using \donttest with R >= 4.0.0

Martin Ondrus mondru@ @end|ng |rom u@|bert@@c@
Mon Nov 15 20:30:44 CET 2021

Hello,

I am a package maintainer for the package "fabisearch" which is now
archived on CRAN. The package includes many examples which take a long time
to run. In past versions of R, I used to simply wrap these in \donttest and
the examples ran as expected. With R >= 4.0.0 however, examples wrapped in
\donttest are run during R CMD check --as-cran. This causes issues with my
package as it takes way too long to run the entire check for CRAN
submission.

I have looked across stackoverflow and other forums to see what are some
possible solutions to implement. From the few that I was able to find,
there were none that work. The most promising seemed to be to simply use
\dontrun instead of \donttest, but this caused my package to be flagged
during submission and failed the initial check.

As such, I am looking for help with this matter. Now that the functionality
of \donttest has changed, what is the appropriate/best way for me to keep
my current examples while ensuring that during the R CMD check --as-cran
process these examples are not run?

Cheers,

Martin