[R-pkg-devel] CRAN submission issues - exasol package

Thomas Uebensee ext@Thom@@@Ueben@ee @end|ng |rom ex@@o|@com
Tue Nov 9 10:40:23 CET 2021

Hello,

I am trying to submit a new package to CRAN. I have fixed all warnings
and errors, and have 1 Note remaining, which I can't get rid off.
Here is the result:
"
 New submission

  License components with restrictions and base license permitting
such:
    BSD_3_clause + file LICENSE
  File 'LICENSE':
    Copyright (c) 2016, EXASOL AG

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are
    met:

        Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
        notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

        Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
copyright
        notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
        the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
        distribution.

        Neither the name of the EXASOL AG nor the names of its
        contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
        from this software without specific prior written permission.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
    "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
FOR
    A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
COPYRIGHT
    HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL,
    SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
USE,
    DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
ANY
    THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
    (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE
USE
    OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGE.

  Possibly misspelled words in DESCRIPTION:
    EXASOL (3:34, 13:18, 14:49, 18:27)
    EXASOL's (16:69)
    InDB (16:78)
    InMemory (18:40)
    MPP (18:70)
    RDBMS (18:49)
    SDK (3:22)
    TPC (19:47)
    analytical (20:17)
    multinode (15:76)
    onwards (14:76)

Flavor: r-devel-windows-ix86+x86_64
Check: compiled code, Result: NOTE
  File 'exasol/libs/x64/exasol.dll':
    Found non-API calls to R: 'R_new_custom_connection',
'Rf_set_iconv',
      'dummy_fgetc', 'dummy_vfprintf'

  Compiled code should not call non-API entry points in R."

Here my questions:
1. Is my understanding correct that I can ignore the "misspelled words"
in DESCRIPTION?
2. Regarding the note: "Found non-API calls to R:". Our package uses
the internal R connection API to exchange data between the EXASOL
database and R clients. I saw that other packages do that, too; for
example curl:
https://github.com/jeroen/curl/blob/395fbcbc13ef7f38167d3837f50c3cad51902068/src/curl.c
Is there a way to get a waiver for that Note, or is this an impediment
for a CRAN submission? But if latter, why was it allowed to curl?
Is there any way to proceed, any alternative public API which does the
same maybe? (For the sake of completeness here is the source code which
uses the R connection API:
https://github.com/exasol/r-exasol/blob/main/src/r_exasol/rconnection/r_reader_connection.cpp
https://github.com/exasol/r-exasol/blob/main/src/r_exasol/rconnection/r_writer_connection.cpp
)

I really appreciate any help on this topic!!!

Thanks in advance,
Thomas