[R-pkg-devel] [External] Formula modeling

Fri Oct 8 02:03:44 CEST 2021

On 07/10/2021 5:58 p.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> I don't work with models like this, but I would find it more natural to
> express the multiple formulas in a list:
>
>     list(d ~ p + x + y, s ~ p + w + y, p ~ z + y)
>
> I'd really have no idea how either of the proposals below should be parsed.

There's a disadvantage to this proposal.  I'd assume that "p" means the
same in all 3 formulas, but with the notation I give, it could refer to
3 unrelated variables, because each of the formulas would have its own
environment, and they could all be different.  I guess you could make it
a requirement that they all use the same environment, but that's likely
going to be confusing to users, who won't know what it means.

Another possibility that wouldn't have this problem (but in my opinion
is kind of ugly) is to use R vector construction notation:

   c(d, s, p) ~ c(p + x + y, p + w + y, z + y)

Duncan Murdoch