[R-pkg-devel] if statements in NAMESPACE file

Andrew Simmons @kw@|mmo @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 30 20:52:16 CEST 2021

Hello,

I'm updating my package 'this.path' which is supposed to retrieve the
absolute path of the executing script when called. It's similar to 'here',
except that 'here' constructs paths relative to a project directory,
whereas 'this.path' constructs paths relative to script directories. I was
updating the section where I retrieve the executing script's path while
running from a script open in Rgui for Windows, and I needed
utils::getWindowsHandles to do such a thing. But utils::getWindowsHandles
is a Windows only function, I
would imagine that 'utils' contains a similar line of code as above:

if (.Platform$OS.type == "windows")
    getWindowsHandles <- function() ...

and then in the NAMESPACE:

if (.Platform$OS.type == "windows")
    export(getWindowsHandles)

so I'd like to change my code to getWindowsHandles and import
getWindowsHandles from utils, but I can only do that on Windows, and so the
conditional importing should work for me. At no point does my function
mis-behave because of a attempting to use a function that isn't exported on
that platform, because within the function it only uses getWindowsHandles
if the OS is Windows.