[R-pkg-devel] Re :Re: Internet resources and Errors

Maëlle SALMON m@e||e@@@|mon @end|ng |rom y@hoo@@e
Fri Sep 24 17:23:48 CEST 2021

We've summarized some advice around graceful packages in this chapter of the HTTP testing in R book: https://books.ropensci.org/http-testing/graceful.html I hope this can help too!

  Le ven., sept. 24, 2021 à 17:03, Ben Bolker<bbolker using gmail.com> a écrit:     I think you're not supposed to stop().

  You should just proceed with the other tests (skipping any
tests/examples that depend on access to the inaccessible internet
resources, or values derived from the failing call, to work)

  Does that help?

On 9/24/21 10:49 AM, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via R-package-devel
wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I am getting dinged again on CRAN  (just Solaris for some reason),  and the problem is how to exit if there is a failure of accessing the resource,  I know it has been discussed here before,  but I just am not understanding what is desired to end properly. As I have been reminded:
>
> 'Packages which use Internet resources should fail gracefully with an informative message
> if the resource is not available or has changed (and not give a check warning nor error).'
>
> All internet calls are wrapped in 'try()'.  If that shows an error,  I  write a message to the screen about the error,  and call stop(), perhaps with a further message in that call.  Somehow this does not appear to meet the standard.    Can someone then please tell me what I should do instead.  The point is I have checked that the access to the internet resources has worked,  i have seen that it hasn't,  now what should be the steps to take to exit gracefully.
>
> I also want to add to what others have said about the frustrations of dealing with Solaris.  I have spent a fair amount of time getting things to  work with Solaris which no one uses.  In this instance the package test is only failing on Solaris.  Not a good use of limited time IMO.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> -Roy
>

> **********************
> "The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or NOAA."
> **********************
> Roy Mendelssohn
> Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
> NOAA/NMFS
> Environmental Research Division
> Southwest Fisheries Science Center
> ***Note new street address***
> 110 McAllister Way
> Santa Cruz, CA 95060
> Phone: (831)-420-3666
> Fax: (831) 420-3980
> e-mail: Roy.Mendelssohn using noaa.gov www: https://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/
>
> "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill."
> "From those who have been given much, much will be expected"
> "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" -MLK Jr.

Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University
Director, School of Computational Science and Engineering
Graduate chair, Mathematics & Statistics