[R-pkg-devel] [External] Re: What is a "retired"package?

Lenth, Russell V ru@@e||-|enth @end|ng |rom u|ow@@edu
Tue Sep 21 17:50:32 CEST 2021

... "I am not fixing this hot mess"??? To the contrary, the README contains a clearly expressed intention to maintain plyr to keep in on CRAN.

RL

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 10:36 AM
To: r-package-devel using r-project.org; Lenth, Russell V <russell-lenth using uiowa.edu>; r-package-devel using r-project.org
Subject: [External] Re: [R-pkg-devel] What is a "retired"package?

There is nothing official about that term. However, the meaning as intended by the package authors seems pretty clear to me, and if some organization decides not to allow software that is not being maintained to be relied upon then that is their decision. I don't think slapping a different label on "I am not fixing this hot mess" is going to change that organization's stance, and expecting the author to play that game is unreasonable.

Welcome to the downside of package interdependencies. I highly recommend that you migrate away from plyr, either by absorbing the key functions you need from it or by relying on different packages.