[R-pkg-devel] Solaris Support

Mon Aug 23 23:47:13 CEST 2021

   I think you're stuck with what you get as far as compilers go (see
below), but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker for CRAN.

The list of CRAN test platforms
<https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_flavors.html> indicates
that the platform uses the Oracle Developer Studio 12.6 compiler , but
the DETAILS
<https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/Rconfig/r-patched-solaris-x86> say
"GCC is used for packages linking to Rcpp|cpp11|StanHeaders, rgdal/sf
(GDAL is only compilable with g++) and about 40 others."

   So if you link to one of those packages or the undisclosed 40 others,
you will get GCC (details below).  If not, or if you're not sure, you
should indicate in your submission message that your package only works
with GCC on Solaris. According to the CRAN policies
<https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html>

Package authors should make all reasonable efforts to provide
cross-platform portable code. Packages will not normally be accepted
that do not run on at least two of the major R platforms. [I believe
"the major R platforms" means {MacOS, Windows, Linux} but I don't think?
this is explicitly defined anywhere.]

   So, at least as far as publicly viewable policies go, the CRAN
maintainers would be able to ask you to make "all reasonable efforts".
(In my opinion, figuring out how to make your package work properly with
ODS 12.6 would take more than a "reasonable" effort, but .. ???)

   cheers
    Ben Bolker

=====
Where these compilers cannot be used, use
GCC 5.2.0 from OpenCSW, with config.site:
CC="/opt/csw//bin/gcc"
CFLAGS=-O2
CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/csw/include -I/usr/local/include"
FC="/opt/csw//bin/gfortran"
FFLAGS=-O2
CXX="/opt/csw//bin/g++"
CXXFLAGS=-O2
LDFLAGS="-L/opt/csw/lib -L/usr/local/lib"
R_LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib:/opt/csw/lib:/home/ripley/developerstudio12.6/lib:/usr/openwin/lib"

On 8/23/21 3:31 PM, Reed A. Cartwright wrote:
> What is the proper way to indicate that a package submitted to CRAN
> requires the gcc compiler on Solaris? I haven't been able to find any
> information about how to indicate that in a way that the CRAN builders will
> pick up on it.
>
> --
> Reed A. Cartwright, PhD
> Associate Professor of Genomics, Evolution, and Bioinformatics
> School of Life Sciences and The Biodesign Institute
> Arizona State University
> ==================
> Address: The Biodesign Institute, PO Box 875301, Tempe, AZ 85287-5301 USA
> Packages: The Biodesign Institute, 1001 S. McAllister Ave, Tempe, AZ
> 85287-5301 USA
> Office: Biodesign B-220C, 1-480-965-9949
> Website: http://cartwrig.ht/
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University
Director, School of Computational Science and Engineering
Graduate chair, Mathematics & Statistics