[R-pkg-devel] Tracking down inconsistent errors and notes across operating systems

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Thu Jul 22 16:03:47 CEST 2021

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 at 15:51, Hannah Owens <hannah.owens using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am working on an update to a package I have on CRAN called occCite. My
> latest release attempt didn’t pass incoming automated checks, because there
> is an outstanding error. Additionally, there are some weird notes I would
> like to get rid of, if anyone has suggestions.
>
> The killing error is in r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc, which is: Packages
> required but not available: 'BIEN', 'taxize', ‘RPostgreSQL'
>
> I don’t understand this, as it is the only system that throws this error,
> and the packages mentioned are available via CRAN. Any suggestions?

This kind of message usually arises when there is some problem with
those packages on CRAN. Indeed,

https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_BIEN.html
https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_taxize.html
https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_RPostgreSQL.html

the three of them have ERRORs in that platform. No issue on your end.
You reply pointing to that.

> Additionally, there are multiple platforms
> (r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-clang; r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-gcc;
> r-devel-windows-x86_64-gcc10-UCRT; r-patched-solaris-x86;
> r-release-macos-arm64; r-release-macos-x86_64; r-oldrel-macos-x86_64) where
> two notes pop up:
>
> NOTE 1: Namespace in Imports field not imported from: ‘bit64’ All declared
> Imports should be used.
>
> The package does use bit64. Any tips on how to address this note?

Are you sure? Your NAMESPACE file does not import(bit64) nor
importFrom(bit64,) anything.

> NOTE 2: Found 6 marked UTF-8 strings.
>
> I presume this is thrown because of the small sample dataset I’ve included
> in the package, but why is it not thrown for all the platforms?

Not all the checks are necessarily done in all the platforms. You can
silence this NOTE by converting the offending strings in your datasets
to ASCII and resaving them.

--
Iñaki Úcar