[R-pkg-devel] package test returns error when R version 4.1.0

Tue Jul 6 22:08:14 CEST 2021

Both NegLogoR and movecost have a lot of hard dependencies -- so many
that I'm unwilling to install them with the limited bandwidth that I
have right now.  I suspect that's related to the problem:  some
dependency install is failing, and that causes something else to fail,
and that leads to the not-very-informative failure messages.

This kind of problem is quite a lot of work to debug.  If I were going
to attempt to do it, I would go for a bisection strategy:

  - Do you have any old revision which succeeds?  If so, use bisection
on the revisions until you find the change which first triggers the error.

  - Perhaps no versions succeed, because something external to your
package has triggered the error.  In this case, bisection would work on
the dependencies:  cut out half of the dependencies and all the code
that depends on those.  Have you fixed the error?  If so, add back half
of the dependencies, otherwise cut out half of the remaining ones.

  - If you're still getting the errors after cutting out all of the
dependencies, then start cutting out code and data. Etc.

In any case, try to find a version of the package that doesn't trigger
the error, and a minimal change to it that does.  Then perhaps you'll
understand the root cause of the error.

Duncan Murdoch