[R-pkg-devel] Warning in dir.create(vd2 <- "vign_test") : 'vign_test' already exists

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Thu Jul 1 00:50:10 CEST 2021

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 14:09:34 -0500
Spencer Graves <spencer.graves using effectivedefense.org> wrote:

> Hello, All:
>

> 	  "R CMD check Ecfun_0.2-5.tar.gz" with R 4.1.0 under macOS
> 11.4 gave "Warning in dir.create(vd2 <- "vign_test") : 'vign_test'
> already exists".  It ultimately said, "Status: OK", so maybe I
> shouldn't worry about it.  It's available at:
>

> https://github.com/sbgraves237/Ecfun
>

> 	  This passed all 4 GitHub Actions, so maybe I should not
> worry about this.
>

> 	  Comments?
> 	  Thanks,
> 	  Spencer Graves

It is rather presumptuous of me to comment, but for what it's worth I
personally would not ignore such a warning.  There is (it seems to me)
always a possibility that the warning is symptomatic of a problem that
could at some stage whip around and bite you on the arse.  I would try
to find out why the directory "vign_test" (unexpectedly?) exists.  Where
does it come from? Who/what created it?

If its possible existence is "understandable" perhaps you should test
for its existence (using file.exists()?) and if it does indeed exist,
don't try to create it.

Feel free to ignore me (and I'll go away! :-) ).

cheers,

Rolf

--
Honorary Research Fellow