[R-pkg-devel] speeding up package code/build/test cycle

Enrico Schumann e@ @end|ng |rom enr|co@chum@nn@net
Fri Jun 25 12:26:23 CEST 2021

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021, Greg Minshall writes:

> hi.
>
> when developing packages, my current work flow is to change the code,
> (re-)build the package, detach/load the package, test (to find the
> N+1'st bug, sigh).
>
> the building step takes tens of seconds.
>
> is there an obvious way to present some code to the R command line and
> have it replace the appropriate function in a given package?
>
> or, are there other things people do to speed up this process?
>
> thanks in advance, Greg

I am not sure if it was already mentioned; but if you feel
comfortable with Emacs (I have a hunch you do), then ESS has
functionality that might help:

    http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Developing-with-ESS

and in particular

    http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Namespaced-Evaluation