[R-pkg-devel] speeding up package code/build/test cycle

Gábor Csárdi c@@rd|@g@bor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jun 24 23:22:16 CEST 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 10:31 PM Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I'm working in RStudio on a Mac, in case that makes any difference.

Yes, RStudio probably does its own thing in "Install and restart". The
pre-clean of course removes the object files from the package src/
directory, so the next load_all() will need to recompile everything.

> Your last paragraph is incorrect if "you" is taken to be me rather than
> a generic developer:  I *often* want to install the package while
> working on it.  I like the help system to work; I like to work on the
> source code and help pages together.

I meant 'you' to be generic, and yes, YMMV.

After devtools::load_all(), `?` will show the help pages of the
`load_all()`-d package, not the installed one. So just to get the help
pages of the dev package, you don't need to install it. E.g. after I
`load_all()` rgl, I get

> ?rgl::rgl.bbox
ℹ Rendering development documentation for 'rgl.bbox'

But there are certainly other good reasons to install the package, and
I am sure that with ccache it is not that bad.

[...]

G.