[R-pkg-devel] Package not building for i386 after adding configure.win

David Cortes d@v|d@corte@@r|ver@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun May 16 00:09:05 CEST 2021

I recently tried adding a configure.win file to a package
(https://github.com/david-cortes/MatrixExtra/blob/master/configure.win)
. This file calls the Rscript executable in order to extract
information about the R build and prepare a Makevars.win file:

------
HAS_LD=`${R_HOME}/bin${R_ARCH_BIN}/Rscript.exe -e
"cat(unname(as.integer(capabilities('long.double'))))"`
sed -e \
    "s/@HAS_LD@/$HAS_LD/" \
    < src/Makevars.win.in > src/Makevars.win
------

The configure script works correctly on my setup and does not produce
any errors when checking the package locally, nor when checking it in
r-hub, but when I upload it to Winbuilder or to CRAN, it will fail to
install for i386, with the following message:

------
** checking whether the package can be loaded ... ERROR
Error: package 'MatrixExtra' is not installed for 'arch = i386'
Execution halted
------

The file '00install.out' does not seem to show traces of having
compiled the package for i386, only for x64:
https://win-builder.r-project.org/P7PlL54vlGah/00install.out

Removing the configure.win file and modifying Makevars accordingly will
make it work correctly in Winbuilder.

What step am I missing?