[R-pkg-devel] State of stringi and stringr

Murray Efford murr@y@e||ord @end|ng |rom ot@go@@c@nz
Fri May 14 02:32:12 CEST 2021

CRAN checks of 'secr' 4.4.1 (https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=secr) show an error on r-oldrel-windows-ix86+x86_64 :

** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Error in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]) :
  there is no package called 'stringi'

'secr' imports from 'stringr' that imports 'stringi', that was updated 10 May. 'secr' does not use 'stringi' directly.  The error also appears on current CRAN tests of 'openCR' 2.0.1 with r-devel-windows-ix86+x86_64.

Can I assume this is a transient problem and advise CRAN accordingly when I update my own package?