[R-pkg-devel] Fwd: Passing CRAN checks for a package linking to a system library on CRAN machines

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 13 10:41:14 CEST 2021

On 5/13/21 7:29 AM, Sokol Serguei wrote:
> Le 13/05/2021 à 07:06, SN248 a écrit :
>> I am working on a package which provides an interface to the libsbml C++
>> library (http://sbml.org/Software/libSBML) in R. The source code of this
>> package (r2sbml) can be found at the following link
>>
>> https://github.com/sn248/r2sbml
>>
>> The package passes CRAN checks with `R CMD check` on my machine, but
>> I do
>> have dependency (libsbml library) installed on my machine (OSX) with
>> headers and static libs at the usual locations, i.e., /usr/local/include
>> and /usr/local/lib. The package also passes CRAN check on a Windows
>> machine
>> with libsbml installed using Rtools40 and msys2. The DESCRIPTION file
>> lists
>> libsbml in SystemRequirements but `R CMD check` obviously fails on rhub
>> machines because there are no instructions to install libsbml first.
>> As I
>> understand, I have the following options to pass checks on CRAN
>>
>> 1. Bundle the source code of libsbml into the package and make the
>> static
>> libs on the fly. I don't really want to try this approach even though I
>> have used this approach before in another package as I think creating
>> the
>> static lib is not as straightforward for this library because of the
>> large
>> number of files and complex dependency chart.
>>
>> 2. Include header files in the `inst` folder and pull the static libs
>> from
>> rwinlib github (assuming the libs can be posted there). I am not sure if
>> this approach will work on all platforms on which CRAN checks take
>> place.
>>
>> 3. Somehow include instructions to install libsbml on CRAN machines
>> (I have
>> no idea how to do this), or request CRAN maintainers to install libsbml
>> with header files and libs at usual locations (i.e.,
>> /usr/local/include and
>> /usr/local/lib).
>
> I faced the same problem for my package r2sundials and in the end, I
> have opted for including the third-party source code into the package.
> However, a CRAN team member told me later that such kind of request
> (i.e. install third-party software on CRAN machines) can be sent to
> the CRAN team. Not sure that they accept but I think you can start by
> asking it and if the request is rejected, you can try other options.

I think that sundials is a good example why trying the other options
first is a good suggestion. It is now included in three CRAN packages
(paropt, r2sundials, sundialr). Apart from the duplication (build time),
it has a problem of multiply defined symbols (tentative definitions,
issues with -fno-common, which is the default in GCC 10), which now has
to be handled in the three packages separately.

Best
Tomas