[R-pkg-devel] Including header files with long filenames in an R pacakge

Wed May 12 21:03:53 CEST 2021

On 12 May 2021 at 11:03, Eric Dunipace wrote:
| I did some searching and wasn’t able to find a good answer to my question, so I hope that someone here has knowledge of how to fix the problem.
|
| I’m currently trying to create an R package that bundles the CGAL header files (http://www.cgal.org) for easy linking by other packages—that will be in an inst/include directory. Unfortunately, the names of the header files with their directory/subdirectory structures exceed the filename limit for R packages on CRAN. Is there a way to bundle these into the R package without changing their names?
|
| Since these are simply a reproduction of the CGAL header files, I don’t want to change their filenames since that will make their usage different than users would expect, and also make it more difficult to reference documentation on the CGAL website.

CRAN will request that you change the filenames to shorten them.

I have done so each time for the BH package as you will see in its GitHub
repo and the patch files.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org