[R-pkg-devel] winUCRT failures

Ott Toomet otoomet @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Apr 26 15:20:53 CEST 2021

I think part of the problem is that the corresponding section in "Writing R
extensions" is not very clear for newcomers.  I admit I have read it
several times as I have been confused about the difference between suggest,
imports and depends, and so combed section 1.1.3 repeatedly.  But from this
email thread I realize that I have overlooked some of the basics.

I would like to have an authoritative document (preferably WRE) that
provides some sort of clear distinction between these concepts, including a
few examples.  In particular, the fact that one should wrap the suggested
packages in "requireNamespace" has escaped me.  I guess it is not just me
as a large chunk of package authors are applied researchers and not
professional software developers.

Not sure if one should rewrite the docs here, or maybe alternatively create
some sort of simplified version of the document.

Cheers,
Ott