[R-pkg-devel] Call internal R functions in C

Mon Apr 26 11:30:48 CEST 2021

On 25/04/2021 10:30 p.m., Cai Li wrote:
> Thanks Duncan! I was advised not to export those functions in the
> namespace and keep them as internals. In terms of this, could you advise
> what specific changes should I make to the C code so that I can evaluate
> them in a suitable environment? I tried something like
> "PROTECT(func_R=lang2(install("Package:::R_function"), func_data))," but
> it did not work. Sorry this may be too naive and thanks again.

That line creates the expression to evaluate, it doesn't evaluate it.
You need to call eval() (the C function) on the result.  Here's some
code from rgl that does something similar:

R code to initialize:

rgl.init <- function(initValue = 0, onlyNULL = FALSE, debug =
getOption("rgl.debug", FALSE))
   .Call( rgl_init,
     initValue, onlyNULL, environment(rgl.init), debug )

The important thing here is "environment(rgl.init)", which is the
private environment within the package.

Then in C code, save that environment:

   rglNamespace = in_namespace;

and use it later:

   result = eval(PROTECT(lang2(PROTECT(install("rglFonts")),

PROTECT(ScalarString(mkChar(family))))), rglNamespace);

Duncan Murdoch