[R-pkg-devel] Using ggplot2 within another package

Kevin R. Coombes kev|n@r@coombe@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 22 23:19:35 CEST 2021

Thanks.

Obviously, long. long ago, (in a galaxy not far enough away), Paul's
suggestion of using "aes_string" was the correct one, since "aes" uses
non-standard evaluation. (And to quote somebody from an R fortune
cookie, "The problem with non-standard evaluation is that it is
non-standard.") But teh documentation at the end oft he link provided by
Robert explivityl tells you not to do that, since "aes_string is
deprecated".  And reading more carefully into the manual page for
aes_string, one does indeed find the statement that the function is
"soft deprecated". I'm not sure what that means, other than someone on
the development team doesn't like it.

Instead, the vignette says you should
    importFrom("rlang", ".data")
in your NAMESPACE, and write
    ggplot(myData, aes(x = .data$myX, y = .data$myY))

And now my dinosaur question: That looks like using one non-standard
hack to cover up the problems with another non-standard hack. Why the
heck  is that any better for the developer than writing
    ggplot(myData, aes(x = myData$myX, y = myData$myY))

or using Dirk Eddelbuettel's suggestion of calling utils::globalVariables ??

It's time to tell those kids to get off of my lawn.
   Kevin