[R-pkg-devel] Another newbie question: vignettes not appearing in GitHub hosted package

Chris Evans chr|@ho|d @end|ng |rom p@yctc@org
Wed Apr 14 18:53:10 CEST 2021

As ever, my package is https://github.com/cpsyctc/CECPfuns and I am building withing Rstudio 1.4.1103

I am aiming for the package to have fairly comprehensive vignettes and there are four now, but two are very incomplete.

The problem I have may relate to https://github.com/Kenkleinman/clusterPower/issues/113 and to
https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues/1766 or it may not. I have a nasty feeling that I am just looking
straight through something obvious.

When I run
browseVignettes(package = "CECPfuns")
within Rstudio working on the package I see the vignettes and I have now got pkgdown working to compile the
lovely web site around the package (at https://cecpfuns.psyctc.org/) and I see the vignettes there and they
update.

The bizarre thing that is beating me is that when I pull the package down to any machine with
remotes::install_github("cpsyctc/CECPfuns")
gets the function but no vignettes! Here's an example from my little Pi machine:

> remotes::install_github("cpsyctc/CECPfuns")
Downloading GitHub repo cpsyctc/CECPfuns using HEAD
✔ checking for file ‘/tmp/RtmpPhD1Rg/remotes294e1d1ff9d6/cpsyctc-CECPfuns-ab23518/DESCRIPTION’ (722ms)
─ preparing ‘CECPfuns’:
✔ checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ...
─ installing the package to process help pages
─ checking for LF line-endings in source and make files and shell scripts (13.7s)
─ checking for empty or unneeded directories
─ looking to see if a ‘data/datalist’ file should be added
─ building ‘CECPfuns_0.0.0.9041.tar.gz’

* installing *source* package ‘CECPfuns’ ...
** using staged installation
** R
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation path
* DONE (CECPfuns)
> browseVignettes(package = "CECPfuns")
No vignettes found by browseVignettes(package = "CECPfuns")

I hope someone can see what I'm doing wrong! As ever, TIA,

Chris

--
Chris Evans (he/him) <chris using psyctc.org> Visiting Professor, University of Sheffield <chris.evans using sheffield.ac.uk>
I do some consultation work for the University of Roehampton <chris.evans using roehampton.ac.uk> and other places

If you want an Emeeting, I am trying to keep them to Thursdays and my diary is at:
https://www.psyctc.org/pelerinage2016/ceworkdiary/
Beware: French time, generally an hour ahead of UK.