[R-pkg-devel] WARNING: ISO C forbids an empty translation unit

Eugenio López Cortegano e|corteg@no @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Apr 13 17:48:54 CEST 2021

Hi all,

I just started a submission to CRAN, but got the following WARNING from
win-builder:

Found the following significant warnings: init.c:1: warning: ISO C forbids
an empty translation unit [-Wpedantic]

To the best of my knowledge, -pedantic is a recommended compilation flag
for C++ and relates to the use of strict ISO C++ code. However, the file
pointed (init.c) is not a file I have written, and do not know exactly
where this comes from, or how to fix it. Package uses C++ code and Rcpp,
but nothing like a configure or Makevars is included.

This warning does not appear when  R CMD check --as-cran is run in my home
Linux (Ubuntu 20.04).

Is this a big issue? does anybody have an idea on how to prevent it?

Thank you,
Eugenio