[R-pkg-devel] Debugging RODBC installation problems on FreeBSD (unixodbc library path)

Tue Mar 30 15:40:43 CEST 2021

On 30 March 2021 at 01:10, Rasmus Liland wrote:
| Dirk, I did not realize libiodbc[1] is an
| alternative to unixODBC, how are you
| able to see this?

By studing the sources and README of the package you are trying to build.

| I also did not realize I had both of
| them installed ...
|
| Uninstalling libiodbc, keeping unixODBC,
| adding the flag (I only suppose this is
| how the flag is added), does nothing:
|
| 	rasmus using iselin ~/src/RODBC % R CMD INSTALL RODBC --with-odbc-manager=odbc
| 	Warning: unknown option ‘--with-odbc-manager=odbc’

These runs are not doing what you think they are doing.  The switch applies
to calling 'configure' directly (which I recommend you do for debugging). For
builds from 'R CMD INSTALL ...' you need another indirection, see --help there.

If I were you, I'd try to mimick what 'configure' does and compile and link a
minimal C program against either of the two to demonstrate "you can". The
next step then is to make 'configure' do it too, ideally without switches.
Then the R package has a better-than-fair chance of installing.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org