[R-pkg-devel] Optional system/C++ library

Florian Rupprecht ||oruppr @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Mar 30 15:19:26 CEST 2021

Hi Team,

I am trying to add an optional system/C++ library to my package and was
wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to do this
in the R package ecosystem.

To be concrete, I want my graphics device package httpgd to be able to call
into imagemagick/magick++ to add image format support for the various
formats imagemagick can convert to. For this I need direct C/C++ access as
the rendering is done in a background thread. Additionally I want to keep
this completely optional, so httpgd can be compiled and executed when
imagemagick is not installed on the system.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,
Florian