[R-pkg-devel] Unexpected problem with CRAN submission for dendroTools

Jernej Jevšenak jernej@jev@en@k @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Mar 9 15:04:14 CET 2021

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I successfully updated the dendroTools R package, but afterwards
I received an email from CRAN, regarding their policy:

“Dear maintainer,

Please see the problems shown on
<https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_dendroTools.html>.

Please correct before 2021-03-22 to safely retain your package on CRAN.

It seems we need to remind you of the CRAN policy:

'Packages which use Internet resources should fail gracefully with an
informative message if the resource is not available or has changed (and
not give a check warning nor error).'

This needs correction whether or not the resource recovers.

The CRAN Team”

After reading some online discussions, e.g. here (
https://community.rstudio.com/t/internet-resources-should-fail-gracefully/49199),
I informed myself about possible issues when examples rely on data from the
internet. However, all data that I use in my examples/vignettes is built in
the package, so I am confused what I should do?

Any advice is appreciated.

Jernej