[R-pkg-devel] Vignettes from LaTeX files.

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Sun Mar 7 00:54:19 CET 2021

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 08:12:40 -0600
Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:

<SNIP>

> All the while we all carry on and just slap the four or five lines
> onto the file make it an Sweave vignette _without any executed code_
> which works in base R today as a proxy for pure LaTeX, just as it has
> for 25 or so years.

By "in base R" do you mean that one can do this *without* invoking
the R.rsp package?

What I understand you to be saying is that you can add four or five
lines to a *.tex file in your vignettes directory (or does the file
need to have a .Rnw extension?) and then the vignette will get built,
when you build the package, without any recourse to the R.rsp package.
(And there is then no need for any reference to R.rsp in your
DESCRIPTION file.)

Is this correct?

Can you be more explicit about the "four or five lines"?

If my understanding is correct, it would be nice to see this all set
out in simple terms in WRE.  Currently what is said in WRE is over my
head, and think would be over the heads of many of us ordinary mortals.

> Or do as some of us do and follow Mark's trick [1] of including a
> pre-made pdf inside an even more minimal Rnw file for the Sweave
> driver. Works great with any pdf: pure LaTeX, LaTeX from (R)Markdown,
>
> Dirk
>
> [1]
> https://www.markvanderloo.eu/yaRb/2019/01/11/add-a-static-pdf-vignette-to-an-r-package/

It would also be nice to see Mark's admirably lucid instructions
included, or at least pointed to, in WRE.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Honorary Research Fellow