[R-pkg-devel] Testing on old R versions

Gábor Csárdi c@@rd|@g@bor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 1 09:21:32 CET 2021

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 6:52 PM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/01/2021 12:35 p.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> > On 31/01/2021 10:57 a.m., Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> >> Do you actually experience any problems, if you don't treat this case specially?
> >
> > Yes, what was happening was that remotes::install_deps skipped
> > installing rgl from CRAN because the local copy had a later version
> > number.  Sorry, I deleted most of the runs that had failures in them, so
> > I can't quote the exact message about this.
>
> I just re-ran a version of the old one.  I'm caching package builds, so
> now I get alphashape3d anyway, but in case you're interested, the
> message was:
>
>   Skipping 1 packages ahead of CRAN: rgl

Right. This is probably because in some iteration you installed the
local (dev) rgl into the library that is cached.
It should still be harmless, because `R CMD check` uses the (new)
local package for the check. The old cached version is only used for
installing alphashape3d and other suggested packages that import or
depend on rgl.

In any case, `remotes::install_local()` seems to be the safest way to
go about this currently.

Gabor