[R-pkg-devel] Advice on R-forge to Github migration

Joshua Ulrich jo@h@m@u|r|ch @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jan 31 21:20:52 CET 2021

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 2:17 PM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who commented.  A few replies inline:

<snip>
> On 31/01/2021 1:21 p.m., Joshua Ulrich wrote:
>  > I've moved history and issues from R-Forge to GitHub for half a dozen
>  > R packages. I might be able to do this rgl. At minimum, I could help
>  > you do it.
>
> Thanks for the offer (and the more detailed one offline, where you
> recommend cloning the repository rather than forking it).  Just for
> future reference, could you tell me the benefits of cloning over forking?

We can discuss more offline, but at a high level:
  - if you fork my repo, mine is the head of the network graph
  - if you clone it and then push it to a repo in your account, yours
is the head of the network graph

Basically, I don't want your repo to be a fork of mine. That would
confuse users about where issues/PRs should be.  I plan to delete my
repo once you've loaded the copy to your account.

> Duncan Murdoch

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com