[R-pkg-devel] Question about package dependency

Sebastien Bihorel Seb@@t|en@B|hore| @end|ng |rom cogn|gencorp@com
Wed Dec 23 02:09:06 CET 2020

Hi

I am working on modifying a package originally developed for use within my company, with the intent to distribute it to users external to our company.
The package currently depends on ROracle to extract data from an Oracle database. The modifications I am implementing would allow the package to operate under 2 modes of data extraction: from this database for internal users or from locally stored data files for external users. Beyond the data extraction step, the package would provide functionality to manipulate the data which is independent of their origin.

I was wondering if and how I could set up my package code and DESCRIPTION file so that external users don't have to install ROracle to install and use my package (since they would operate only in the 2nd mode of data extraction described above).

Thank in advance for your suggestions.