[R-pkg-devel] Package Encoding and Literal Strings

joris m@iii@g oii jorisgoose@@@i joris m@iii@g oii jorisgoose@@@i
Wed Dec 16 19:49:13 CET 2020

Hello All,

Some context, I am one of the programmers of a software pkg (
https://jasp-stats.org/) that uses an embedded instance of R to do
statistics. And make that a bit easier for people who are intimidated by R
or like to have something more GUI oriented.

We have been working on translating the interface but ran into several
problems related to encoding of strings. We prefer to use UTF-8 for
everything and this works wonderful on unix systems, as is to be expected.

Windows however is a different matter. Currently I am working on some local
changes to "do_gettext" and some related internal functions of R to be able
to get UTF-8 encoded output from there.

But I ran into a bit of a problem and I think this mailinglist is probably
the best place to start.

It seems that if I have an R package that specifies "Encoding: UTF-8" in
DESCRIPTION the literal strings inside the package are converted to the
local codeset/codepage regardless of what I want.

Is it possible to keep the strings in UTF-8 internally in such a pkg
somehow?

Best regards,
Joris Goosen
University of Amsterdam