[R-pkg-devel] Conditional timeout for httr request when running R CMD check

Ayala Hernandez, Rafael r@@y@|@14 @end|ng |rom |mper|@|@@c@uk
Mon Nov 30 19:45:01 CET 2020

Dear all,

My package openSkies includes a set of functions to retrieve information from the OpenSky API.

The examples for these functions can, on rare occassions, take anomously longer times to complete than usually because of issues on the API side.

I have already included a timeout parameter to prevent endless attempts to retrieve the result when, for example, the API is down for maintenance.

I have recently been asked by CRAN to reduce the execution time of each example to below 5 s. In order to do this, I can set the timeout parameter to something below 5s, and return NULL and a message indicating the resource is not currently available. However, I think this might not be the best option for examples that demonstrate important functionalities to users.

Therefore, I was wondering if there is anyway to set up the timeout parameter to a different value than usual based on the condition that examples are being run as part of R CMD check?

Thanks a lot in advance

Best wishes,

Rafa