[R-pkg-devel] submitting two packages simultaneously

Fri Nov 27 17:36:53 CET 2020

On 27 November 2020 at 11:18, jérémy Gelb wrote:
| I plan to submit a package I created called spNetwork. The package
| uses both Rcpp and parallelization to ensure reasonable calculation
| time. However, it is currently not possible to pass a compiled
| function to a child process. The recommended workaround is to store
| compiled functions in an existing package.

Yes, that is the usual recommendation. Beats recompiling the function on each
worker node.

| So I put the worker
| functions using Rcpp in a separate package called spNetworkCpp and
| everything works like a charm (all tests and checks passed). To submit
| spNetwork to CRAN, how should I proceed? Should I submit spNetworkCpp
| first, then spNetwork?

Sounds good to me. And if the former is a dependency of the later you need to
sequence it that way.

Unless maybe you would want to keep it simpler and keep everything in _one_
package so that the child processes would load the same package.  That way
you also avoid possible 'version skew' if the main packages and the client
package are not aligned.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org