[R-pkg-devel] help interpreting a response from CRAN

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal roy@mende|@@ohn @end|ng |rom no@@@gov
Mon Nov 23 04:13:45 CET 2020

I have found win-builder timings come close,  but only close.  My experience is that the CRAN timings were uniformly slower than those on win-builder.  But I also find that I can get quite significant differences between win-builder-release and win-builder-devel.  So I also take the slowest that I can find as a basis,  and assume the actual times will be slower than that.

HTH,

-Roy

> On Nov 22, 2020, at 5:15 PM, Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  And one more (last for a while): presumably there is no way to check CRAN windows timing without submitting to CRAN ... ?  (I will obviously do my best by doing arithmetic on the tests that I set to be skipped, but it would be nice to be able to double-check without wasting everyone's time ... I guess if I knew that CRAN submissions would *always automatically* be rejected with Windows test times>10 min, I could use CRAN submission itself as my test ... but maybe that's a bad idea?)
>
> On 11/22/20 4:06 PM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> Thanks Dirk. Yes, for lme4 the tests for each archiecture take longer than 5 min, so the overall check time exceeds 10 min.
>> So one can follow Dirk's advise.
>> As a general remark for others who will read this in the future:
>> tests should test the software, but it is generally not important to have real world examples. Small data and few iterations are typically sufficient for tests.
>> It is also possible to run less important tests only conditionally if some environment variable is set that you only define on your machine.
>> Best,
>> Uwe Ligges

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> It's under your control. You can detect 'are we on Windows' and branch or, as
>>> I do with test runner I use, exit_file("...") based on such conditions.

>>> No. If there were any (even false positive ones) they'd be listed there.
>>>
>>> Hth, Dirk

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn