[R-pkg-devel] checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... ERROR

Georgi Boshnakov georg|@bo@hn@kov @end|ng |rom m@nche@ter@@c@uk
Thu Oct 29 19:21:33 CET 2020

This seems to be  the code for "small latin capital fl". Such characters often occur when copying text from external programs
(similar to the familiar problem with fancy quotes). If that is the case, Just changing the offending symbol to  the two letters 'f' and 'l' should suffice.

Georgi Boshnakov

-----Original Message-----
From: R-package-devel <r-package-devel-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Anthony Hammond
Sent: 29 October 2020 14:34
To: r-package-devel using r-project.org
Subject: [R-pkg-devel] checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... ERROR

Hello,
I'm attempting to upload a package to CRAN and although it passes the R CMD checks that I run, it doesn't pass the CRAN check and the response I get is pasted below. I've looked online and found numerous solutions; some made no sense to me & others didn't work.
I tried downloading and putting upquote.sty and inconsolata.sty files into the latex folder. I also tried typing --no-manual in the project options under R CMD check options.
Still the CRAN submission email response provided the below error.
What can I do to make this go away and have my package accepted?
It probably doesn't help that I know next to nothing about LaTeX.
Incidentally I don't mind not having a pdf manual, so if there is a simple way to avoid the check by requesting not to have one, that'll do.

Kind Regards
Anthony

* checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
This typically indicates Rd problems.
LaTeX errors found:
! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char fl (U+FB02)
(inputenc)                not set up for use with LaTeX.

See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
* checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... ERROR
* checking for detritus in the temp directory ... OK
* DONE